Government Laptop Loan Scheme - University of Limerick
The Government Laptop Loan Scheme may be available to you this academic year if you need a laptop for your studies and are not able to finance it. This scheme is open to new and continuing UL students, both undergraduate and postgraduate. The Department has confirmed that this is a one-off special grant as part of a package of COVID-19-related measures and there is no provision for additional funding in future years. The terms and conditions of the Grant are as follows:
- HEIs must use the funding for purchase of devices for distribution to disadvantaged students by means of appropriate lending scheme to be managed by each individual HEI.
- The devices will remain the property of the HEIs.
Please click HERE to view the Laptop specification
To be eligible for a laptop you must be registered as a full or part-time student in 2020-21 and be from one of the designated 'disadvantaged' groups eligible under this government scheme. Eligibility will be on a needs basis and in accordance with the guidelines,
UL must be satisfied that a student who receives a device under this grant has demonstrated the financial need for the device to access their programme of study - e.g. they or their family do not have the means to purchase such a device themselves.
In deciding which students should receive a device, institutions are required to allocate them on the basis of the target groups identified in the National Plan for Equity of Access to Higher Education 2015 - 2021:
- Access students (socio-economically disadvantaged students) who have accessed UL through the Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) or the Access to University Course
- Students registered with a disability at UL or who have accessed UL through DARE and who can demonstrate a financial need
- First-time Mature students (Undergraduates only) and who can demonstrate a financial need
- Further Education Award holders - i.e. those who have entered UL via QQI/FET pathways and demonstrate a need
- Lone parents
- Members of the Traveller and/or Roma communities
- Students who are or have been in the care of the State
- Other ethnic minorities, asylum seekers or University of Limerick Sanctuary students domiciled in Ireland
(NOTE: International Students and non-EU fee paying students are NOT eligible under this fund. )
- Students who can clearly demonstrate urgent financial need who are not part of another target group listed above
- Any combination of one or more of the above.
Due to limited availability of laptops UL, prioritization based on overall personal or parental income (as applicable) will be applied. In this regard, supporting documentation must be provided to be considered for this scheme. Your application will be assessed on your eligibility, evidenced by supporting documentation and on the information you provide in the final question of this application. This laptop loan scheme will only be available this academic year but recipients of the laptop may be able to retain possession of their laptops thereafter, if they are continuing with their studies at UL.
We will contact you directly through your UL email address provided in the template below as soon as possible to let you know if you are successful and when you can collect the laptop at UL.
For further information see: www.ul.ie/studentaffairs
Note: Students accessing the online application form should be logged into their UL Windows 365 account using their UL student username and password to allow for access to the form.
N.B. You must upload the required Financial Documentation in support of you application, no matter which entry path you select
Attention: Closing Date: Friday 23rd October at 5pm
To apply to the Laptop Loan schem please click HERE