The Department of Sociology hosts a broad range of research, on areas including the following:
- The Sociology of Inequality, covering a wide range of areas, including stratification, media and urban sociology, political economy, the sociology of culture
- The Sociology of Gender
- The Sociology of Ethnicity (including Islamaphobia and racism)
- The Sociology of Health and Illness
- The Sociology of the Family, covering children, marriage and relationships, the family, the division of domestic labour, integration in the labour market, etc.
- The Sociology of Citizenship and Migration
Research is carried out individually (see faculty pages) and in research clusters and funded projects.
We publish a Working Paper series, and the student journal Socheolas.