Network and Email Account Management
What’s the project about?
One of the strategic IT projects that is within the portfolio of modernisation initiatives was the review and update UL’s IT Policies. All users of the University of Limerick’s Network and Computing Resources are subject to the following University of Limerick IT Policies;
- The University of Limerick’s Acceptable Usage policy
- The University of Limerick’s IT Security Policy
The project includes a review of procedures surrounding the maintenance of UL network and email accounts. It incorporates some additional automation of the processes to grant, maintain and expire the accounts. An audit of all existing accounts will also be conducted as part of the project to ensure the accounts are provisioned in line with UL IT Policies.
ITD will keep you informed on key developments as the projects evolve and more detailed communications will be issued to users directly impacted by the changes.
Why are we doing this?
- To implement controls that are required in order to ensure that the University of Limerick remains compliant with Data Protection laws.
- To improve efficiency of processes through automation.
- To reduce Microsoft licensing costs paid by the University of Limerick
- To reduce user support costs - with the adoption of newer technologies and enhanced collaboration tools, the need for some accounts will be removed, and so will the costs associated with supporting those users.
What does it mean for you?
- You may notice some changes as you may receive automated emails when your account is about to expire, or asking you notify us of changes in the details we hold on your account like your ID number, or Department.
- If you are a Head of Department you will receive requests to sign off on ID Cards for contractors/employees of approved suppliers working for your department or to re-approve temporary ‘guest’ accounts - exceptional basis only – all users must ensure that any access to UL assets, which they grant to others, is for University use only, is not excessive and is maintained in an appropriate manner.
- If you are employed by an Affilliate/Subsidary/Supplier of UL you will be required to attain approval for your account and a UL ‘Authorised User’ ID Card on a regular basis, you will receive automated emails when your account is about to expire or is in need of review. Following the HR ID Card Policy https://www.ul.ie/hr/current-staff/hr-policies-procedures-forms-z.
The overall project is in the Ramp Phase, status Green.
The following table outlines the key ‘high-level’ phases within the overall project.
Project Phase Planned Start Dates
1 Review and update procedures and working guidelines for maintaining network and email accounts. Completed
2 Deliver additional automation of processes to grant, maintain and expire network and email accounts. In Progress (Complete April 2020)
3 Audit of all existing ‘non student’ accounts In Progress (Complete June 2020)
||Planned Start Dates
||Review and update procedures and working guidelines for maintaining network and email accounts.
||Deliver additional automation of processes to grant, maintain and expire network and email accounts.
||In Progress (Complete April 2020)
||Audit of all existing ‘non student’ accounts
||In Progress (Complete June 2020)